Marathon Weekend 2025

I don't think there are club-level rooms in the tower; they are referencing the existing club-level availability. (Though you can book tower rooms specifically, the hotel, dvc longhouse, and dvc tower are all on the same availability page.)

My bad, I got confused because the Tower is listed under the “Villas and Bungalows,” and I misread this part: “Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort shares all Resort amenities—including pools, dining and recreation—with the other section of the Resort: Disney’s Polynesian Villas and Bungalows.”

Haha during the Dallas half marathon in December, a couple in front of me around mile 9 grabbed a couple of pickle juice shots from someone handing them out on the side of the course. Mind you, lots of people were handing out shots of various types of alcohol, including Jameson, Fireball, and tequila during this stretch of the course. Two things instantly became apparent when they took the shots: 1) they didn't speak or read any English, and 2) they had no idea what they were taking. They spit them out so fast and wailed for about a quarter mile. 🤣

@DisneyMountainWoman I am so jealous! They look so incredible and the views of the lake…. Wow!

WL is our home resort and every time we take a boat over to MK I spend the whole time staring at the Cabins as we pass by, just beautiful! Have a great stay!
My running loop at WL takes me past the cabins where I stare longingly at them as I pass by. I’m so exited for you @DisneyMountainWoman ! We’ll be slumming it in a 1 bed at BRV 😝

Haha during the Dallas half marathon in December, a couple in front of me around mile 9 grabbed a couple of pickle juice shots from someone handing them out on the side of the course. Mind you, lots of people were handing out shots of various types of alcohol, including Jameson, Fireball, and tequila during this stretch of the course. Two things instantly became apparent when they took the shots: 1) they didn't speak or read any English, and 2) they had no idea what they were taking. They spit them out so fast and wailed for about a quarter mile. 🤣
Yep. Pickles are gross. :) I'll take mustard over pickles any time!

SAFD: Just catching up on this thread! It's so interesting to me to see all the different fueling strategies! There is definitely NOT one size fits all when it comes to fueling!
Prerun - 10 miles or less and half a Clif bar and a cup of coffee an hour or so before, for longer distances I eat a whole Clif bar.
For "single digit" runs I'm good with just water.
For any run 10 miles or more I will carry Tailwind with me, and if I'm going longer than a half I will bring Clif blocks. I can't do gels - the texture makes me gag! I want to try the Stinger gummies sometime.
Stay on top of hydration in the days before and after - especially at Disney when it can be easy to get distracted and not keep sippin'!
Dinner before a big race I try to stick with rice and veggies (rice is easier on my GI than pasta).
Post-race marathon - I am not usually very hungry but get down at least a banana and some chips if I can. I'm usually not ready to eat more than snacks until dinnertime.

The longest distance I’ve ever done is a half marathon. I usually eat a cliff bar with coffee before the race and eat gu chomps during the race. Have used sports beans too(maybe during Disney races?) During my first half marathon I didn’t prepare properly and tried to use the gu packets for the first time. Horrible time opening them with sweaty hands and no energy(Sept. run at home town) I also used to carry a bottle of water and bottle of nuun, but am going to test out Lmnt this year vs. nuun. The water is usually to dump on my face bc I don’t sweat much and my face tends to overheat in the sun.

I dislike pretty much all condiments so the thought of eating a packet of mustard or relish, while running makes me 🤢🤮.

We are booked at Boulder Ridge for Marathon weekend. I dropped our room at VGF since my husband and kids prefer WL vs GF. Looking forward to breakfast at Whispering Canyon. Have BLT waitlisted so who knows where we will end up. I pretty much love any of the MK resorts so I’ll be happy.

We also booked our flights! We were waiting until we knew which resort we were at and which day we would fly home. Somehow DH agreed to stay until Monday so I booked out flights before he decided to switch back to Sunday.

Question about multiple marathons. Curious if anyone has experience with this. I ran my first in 2022 and have done the same marathon since. I only run the one a year. I have greatly improved my time and want to keep improving.

Since I’m signed up for the Dopey, I don’t think I will have time to recover and be “race” ready by the time this marathon is in March 2025. I plan to run the races in Dopey fairly easy since I want to enjoy the time there.

But I’m having FOMO about not being there and not hitting another PR. Which would be better: a fall marathon in November 2024 that I “race”and then take it easy for Dopey or do an easy Dopey and sign up for a March or April 2025 one to “race” or even wait til the fall of 2025 to do another marathon?

I have always just ran for fun so running races is new to me. But hitting a PR each time has really been motiving to me. I appreciate your comments and any advice.
Certainly this is different for everyone but I would say you have more than enough experience and time until race day to make it happen especially if you are taking MW easy, and trying is the only way you will know.
From personal experience I hit a PR in this years Dopey as I always try in the marathon after going easier the first three. Took five days off and started back at long run pace on my short runs for a week then back to normal with a new PR in an early April marathon. Followed that with a quick recovery, long runs, taper, and a May marathon which is where I found my limit, though still very respectable I could not hold on for a new record.
I would say don’t try increasing speed or mileage over your normal plan as that would risk injury but count back from your March race and match it to your training plan to see where it falls as coming off Dopey you will be in better condition than you think from previous training.

Also, it’s always fun to try pushing for better but never let it beat your mental game. There will be times when you don’t hit that PR because of any number of reasons. Just get it again next time. I PRd my first 5 marathons then missed by over an hour - just had a bad day.

Off topic, other than related to running in the heat. I had a rough training run this morning. I'm working on building back my base so had 8.5 on the calendar and I did it, but it was not pretty. The temperature in the north Texas area was about 80 degrees at 5:45 AM; there was a bit of a breeze but that can only help so much. I forgot how much running in that kind of heat/humidity can affect your heart rate and effort. Been trying to hydrate and refuel the rest of the day but I'm still exhausted (though that could also be my 13-month-old daughter). How is it only June?!? 😩

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter